Agra College enjoys the privilege of being the oldest institution of learning in North India. It was established in 1823 CE by the endowments bequeathed by Pandit Gangadhar Shastri ji, a renowned Sanskrit scholar and astrologer in the service of Madhav Rao Pesewa of Gwalior. Since its establishment in 1823 the institution functioned as the Government College till 1883, during this period all the details regarding its academic pursuits and administrative problems were reported directly to the Parliament of England by the then Governor General of India. All the records of the aforesaid period are still preserved in the Indian House Library and Foreign and Common Wealth Office, London. Thereafter, its management was handed over to the Board of Trustees and a Committee of Management, both approved by the Government. Ever since its inception in 1823, Agra College has enjoyed the singular privilege of wending out to the world, illustrious personalities who have carved out an enviable place in the national and international arena. Among its alumni are personalities like Pt. K.D. Paliwal, Sir Tej Bahadur Sapru, Shri Gopal Swaroop Pathak, Justice S.K. Dhar, Shri Gulzari Lal Nanda, Shri Chaudhary Charan Singh and a host of others. In 1924, the college celebrated its centenary, which was graced by the then Viceroy, Sir R.D. Issac. Originally, the college was affiliated to Calcutta University, Calcutta, then from 1887 to 1926, it was affiliated to Allahabad University, Allahabad and since 1927, it has been affiliated to Agra University, Agra (called Dr. Bhimrao Ambedkar University, Agra from 24.09.1995 onwards vide U.P. Govt. Notification No. 33/XVII-V-1-1(ka)-43-1996, dated 06.01.1996).